Principal Embedded Systems Engineer
Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for an embedded systems expert to drive the architecture and development of a productized battery management and control system for our multi-day storage product. There are multiple classes of controllers in this scope, from single-core ARM Cortex-M microcontrollers through multi-core Linux Servers, and you would be the technical architect of the complete system, including battery functional safety, enclosure and site-level control, telemetry, and firmware updates. You should feel comfortable building an embedded Linux system from the ground up and implementing controls that run on top of it. This is an opportunity to apply your expertise in a dynamic product development environment focused on solving novel problems and decarbonizing the electric grid.
What You'll Do:
- Devise, refine, and specify the embedded system architecture for Form’s battery management, power conversion, and enclosure systems
- Develop system software on embedded Linux platforms for control, connectivity, and telemetry. Manage the software development and delivery process through bring-up, integration, test and high volume manufacturing.
- Manage packaging and build system integration of various software components
- Lead firmware update and bootloader development
- Develop standard practices for software development, code review, and bug tracking processes at Form Energy
What You'll Bring:
- 10+ years experience in product development with experience in both embedded Linux and microcontrollers (ARM Cortex M class)
- Deep experience with programming in a product development environment using low-level languages
- Experience with designing and building custom Linux-based systems (Yocto/BitBake or equivalent)
- Experience with Over the Air (OTA) updating of Linux-based systems
- Strong Linux kernel fundamentals and internals
- Direct experience developing device drivers and bootloaders
- Familiarity with embedded Linux security fundamentals such as secure boot, PKI, hardware key storage
- Excellent problem-solving and technical communication skills
- BS or greater in computer science, electrical engineering, or similar
The salary range for this role is $217,475-$268,290. The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?