Mori is focused on innovations in the food, agriculture, and packaging industries. We leverage the unique properties of a natural protein discovered in silk that protects food, creates an edible barrier, and slows down spoilage. Our products can be integrated at any time from farm to shelf, allowing food producers, processors, and retailers to deliver more and better-quality food to consumers. Our mission statement “More Food, Less Waste” embodies our companies’ commitment to improving supply chain inefficiencies and reducing food and packaging waste. We abide by the following values to make our mission possible:
- Think big, start small
- Embrace complexity
- See it through
- Operate with care
- Keep perspective
Mori is seeking a motivated and hardworking Operator(s) to join our manufacturing team. The candidate will have the following responsibilities (which are subject to change):
- Perform plant duties including equipment operation, maintenance, cleaning, and sanitation
- Perform necessary pre-operation and end of shift activities to ensure proper equipment start-up and operation on multiple pieces of equipment
- Carries out protein extraction, purification, and drying in Mori’s plant following established SOPs
- Assists with training and furthering Mori's high standards on incoming associates and technicians in support of process development and pilot plant operations
- Participates in R&D runs for new process and materials development
- Perform daily quality and environmental sampling, monitoring, and testing
- Clean and maintain a safe work environment
- Regular communication of results, recommendations for changes, safety hazards and issues to the team
- Performs work which is predominantly intellectual in character, and which includes work requiring the consistent exercise of discretion and judgment.
- Maintain production paperwork, files, and databases
- Follow all plant GMPs and procedures
- Base salary of $50,443.00 plus equity (an additional 12% shift differential is available for those committed to the 2nd shift)
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Associate degree or Bachelor’s degree showcasing lab-based coursework in chemistry, biology, biotechnology, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or a similar field
- Experience with basic engineering unit operations – stirred tanks, purification, filtration equipment, and drying are a plus
- Ability to work well independently and on a team depending on tasks
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and team building skills
- cGMP compliant process experience in pharma or food is a plus
- Ability to work a rotating schedule with different shifts. Ability to occasionally work weekends for extended production schedule
Working conditions and physical requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting/Standing/Walking/Lifting/Carrying:The operator stands throughout their shift and walks on uneven concrete and tile surfaces. The operator lifts up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis. Two or more employees’ complete lifts of greater than 40 pounds.
- Pushing/Pulling/Bending/Stooping: The operator occasionally pushes/pulls a variety of objects which may include empty pallets, and brooms during clean-up activities. The operator will push/pull pipefittings during hook up. The operator bends and stoops occasionally throughout the workday, when servicing equipment, picking supplies or waste product off the floor.
- Squatting/Kneeling/Crawling/Twisting/Turning: The operator may squat when picking up supplies and during clean-up duties, including kneeling on the floor and crawling under equipment. Occasional twisting and turning at the waist while connecting process pipes or making CIP connections.
- Climbing/Balancing/Reaching: The operator occasionally climbs approved stairs or ladders. The operator reaches below shoulder level to pick up pipefittings from the floor or while servicing product pumps and related equipment. The operator may reach at or above shoulder level when making equipment adjustments, or during clean-up duties.
- Grasping/Manipulation: Frequent use of the hands and fingers is required of the Operator when servicing pumps, using scrub brushes, and connecting pipefittings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
The job is performed indoors on a manufacturing floor. Exposure to loud noises, dust, dirt, sparks, oil, and smoke may occur. Protective safety equipment may be required including, but not limited to: hearing protection, bump caps, hair and beard nets, shoes, gloves, and safety eyewear. Activities may include extended periods of standing.
Mori provides a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health, vision, and dental plans where Mori pays 50% of the premium
- Health Savings Account (HSA) for High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP)
- Unlimited paid-time-off (which includes sick pay) and 11 paid company holidays
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Commuter benefits providing employees the opportunity to use tax-free dollars on commuting costs (as specified by the benefit administrator.
- Free, access to confidential mental health counsellors through a program called Health Advocate. Health Advocate also helps with other things (securing childcare, finding lawyers for wills, etc.), and you have access to the full array of Health Advocate options
- Health Advocate also offers advice on which health insurance option to choose based on your personal circumstances (HIPAA compliant, everything is done between you and them and never comes to a Mori employee). This type of program is often referred to as an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Free OneMedical on-demand primary care (24/7 access to physicians, online booking system, membership fee is covered), insurance required for certain services
- Free TelaDoc through Aetna available to employees with an active Mori health plan
- One year of TalkSpace (fully online mental health therapists) Access based on enrollment in an active Mori provided Health Benefit plan. Monthly limitations apply
- Optional Life and supplemental life insurance through MetLife
Additional location specific benefits include:
- 24/7 access to Hood Park fitness center (Boston benefit)
- Covered and indoor bike parking (Boston benefit)
- Hood Park programming and events (Boston benefit)
Mori is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (“ADA”), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and all applicable state and local fair employment practices laws. Employment opportunities at Mori are based upon one's qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.